I created a set of Star Wars cookie cutters utilizing the 3D printers on the University of Washington campus.  The cookie cutters mix a little bit of the galaxy with the cooking experience, to make the kitchen environment more lively and fun. 

Intended Users

The intended users are Star Wars fans who love to bake or want to display their love of Star Wars through cookies

The Process


I started off the processes by researching outlines of main characters.  My parents have a set of Star Wars cookie cutters; however they are difficult to use, because they are press on cookie cutters and the faces of the characters don’t really appear on the cookie no matter how hard you press. I thought it would be easier if cookie cutters were just the outline of the characters and chefs could draw on the character’s faces with frosting or decorate the character’s faces however they wanted. 


After finding outlines of various characters faces I started to trace the outline of the character’s head in Rhino.  I used the Revolution and Boolean functions in Rhino to create a rounded version of Yoda’s head.  I then used the Extrusion function to create a BB8 and the Rebel insignia.  The processes was fairly simple and easy, so I decided to look at other Star Wars cookie cutters to determine if I wanted to add more detail to my designs.  I found several intricate Star Wars cookie cutter designs online and decided that I could add more detail to my Star Wars cookie cutters.  Below are the first iterations of my cookie cutter design. 

I returned to my Rhino files and inserted various pictures of Star Wars in order to determine where I thought there should be detail on the Star Wars cookies. I ended up not adding any additional detail to the cookie cutter of Yoda, because I liked the idea that users could view the cookie through the smaller portion of Yoda’s head in order to properly place their cookie cutter.  Additionally, I thought that Yoda’s head was distinct enough that chefs and cookie eaters would be able to determine that the cookie was Yoda. Instead, I added detail to the BB8 cookie cutter and created a new cookie cutter of a storm trooper.  The BB8 cookie cutter detail includes BB8’s buttons and lines, while the detail of the storm trooper includes the storm troopers eyes and breathing holes.  Below are the second iterations of my cookie cutter design. 


When I began to set up my files on the Maker Bot to be printed I ran into an issue with the width of my extrusions.  My original extrusions were not wide enough to fully be supported printing. With the help of my professors, TAs, and several classmates a way was figured out to expand the width of my extrusions using the Offset Surface function in Rhino. I reiterated on my files in order to try and guarantee that they would print properly with the 3D printer, producing the images included within this section of my processes.  Below of my final iterations of my cookie cutters. 

            Download Yoda                                     Download BB8                         Download the Rebel Insignia             Download a Storm trooper   

I ended up only being able to 3D print the BB8 cookie cutter model, due to time constraints and limited availability of 3D printers.  Thus, I was critiqued on only my BB8 cookie cutter model.  Below are several pictures of the printing processes for the BB8 cookie cutter.


In order for everyone to receive some feedback on their prototypes, each person in the class was given a pad of sticky notes and asked to go around and write down feedback next to their peer’s prototypes.  Most of the feedback I received from my peers was positive.  They appreciated how detailed and intricate my design was and asked if I would make them some cookies with the cookie cutter.  In addition to this feedback, one of my peers and my professor commented that I need to iterate the joining properties of my design.  The head of the BB8 cookie cutter was detached on one side, which could potentially due to the joining properties of the head within Rhino.  Additionally, my professor suggested that I iterate on the thickness of the cookie cutter in order to decrease the delicate and fragile nature of the cookie cutter.



I was pleased with the end result of the BB8 cookie cutter and the fact that I was able to experiment more with Rhino.  It was really fun creating extrusions, revolves,  and booleans based off of sketches in Rhino.  I appreciated the various perspectives that Rhino offers and found the tool relatively easy to use.  I was ecstatic to be able to use the 3D printers.  I’ve been wanting to 3D print objects for a while and it was nice to have excuse to utilize the 3D printer for the purposes of a class project.  In the future, I hope to continue to be able to experiment with the 3D printer and Rhino.

Learned Lessons

During the processes of creating the cookie cutters, I struggled the most with insuring that they were sturdy enough to actually be used for cookies.  I had planned to print the BB8 cookie cutter out on the Tuesday before the assignment was due; however when I went to print the cookie cutter, the width of the extrusions were not thick enough to be printed and Maker Bot believed that the printer needed to fill in all of the BB8 shape in order to print my file.  Filling in all of the BB8 shape would have wasted material and time as well as inaccurately represent my intended model. Thus, I spent most of Tuesday and Wednesday editing my files in order to be able to print the model I wanted utilizing the 3D printer.  The width of the extrusions were an error that I had not anticipated, but I learned how to iterate within Rhino, in addition to gaining a better understanding of Maker Bot, 3D printers, and the 3D printing process.

Tools Used

  • Rhino
  • Maker Bot
  • 3D printer